We desire unity for our church as we move forward with plans to re-gather. We realize there is a range of differing opinions in our congregation on what this looks like; therefore, we want to continue to minister to everyone in a way that matches each one’s comfort level. We ask for patience and grace as we make adjustments throughout the summer.
- There is no limit to the number of people allowed for a worship service.
- Physical distancing of 2 metres should be maintained between congregants unless members of the same household.
- Congregants must not attend if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms (cough, fever, runny nose, sore throat, short of breath).
- Refrain from shaking hands, hugging, touching, passing items between people, using hymnbooks, passing offering plates, etc.
- Nursery is not permitted. Young children should remain with parents.
- Sunday morning worship services weekly at 9:30 or 11 am.
- The main service will take place in the auditorium, and overflow will be in the gym.
- The service in the auditorium will be video livestreamed for folks at home and in the gym.
- The auditorium and gym chairs will be arranged with rows two metres apart.
- The service in the auditorium will include congregational singing.
- The service in the gym will NOT include congregational singing (humming allowed). Those not wanting to sing or be around singing should go to the gym.
- Children are welcome, but there will be no nursery or children’s classes. A children’s story will be included as part of the Sunday morning worship service.
- Main doors, school doors, and gym doors will be available for entry and exit.
- Hand sanitation stations will be placed at all entry/exit points.
- Only the main floor will be accessible; second and third floors will be closed.
- All main floor washrooms will be available.
- A receptacle for giving will be available outside the church office. Giving online will continue to be available.
- The Sunday service will be live streamed at 9:30 or 11 am. Those who stay home can watch the entire service live or anytime afterwards.
- There will no longer be a need to register ahead of time for services and Bible studies.
- The Wednesday prayer and Bible study will continue in-person and via Zoom throughout the summer at 7 pm.
- The Sunday evening discipleship training will stop resume in September.
Edmonton city council passed a bylaw requiring face coverings in all indoor public spaces. This mandate goes into effect August 1, 2020 and includes all indoor church gatherings.
We talked to a representative from the city’s bylaw department to get some clarification of how this will impact the fellowship and worship in our church facility on Sundays. We were told that anyone teaching, speaking from the pulpit, or performing music qualifies under the exception of “engaging in services that require the temporary removal of a face covering.” The bylaw also makes an exception for “persons unable to wear a face covering due to mental or physical concern or limitation.” There may be several people in our congregation who do not wear a mask on Sunday or remove their mask during the service for one of these reasons.
This bylaw will not be enforced by our church, and we should all assume that anyone not wearing a face covering has a good reason. We should not be judgmental of anyone’s motive. A limited number of masks will be available; however, we encourage you to bring your own.
Guidelines for Resuming Children’s Programs:
We are so thrilled to resume Sunday School, Kids4Truth, and Youth Group on September 13th after not meeting since March! I know the teachers, leaders, and helpers are exhilarated to see their students again and begin pouring into their lives! We invite you to worship together as a family at the 9:30 service and then participate in the classes for all ages at 11:00. I cannot stress enough how vital it is to worship together as a family.
Our Sunday School classes for 4 year-olds to Grade 6 are returning to the Generations of Grace lessons. The kids will be learning about Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection from the Gospel of Matthew, and then the early church from Acts and Revelation. We are also excited to announce a new Sunday school format at 11:00 for the 2 & 3 year-old class. They will be exploring the simple truths of the Gospel.
Youth Sunday School will complete the study we began in Ecclesiastes. We plan to move on to the first three chapters of Revelations to see what the Spirit says to the seven churches. In the past, we opened a lot of sessions with discussions of ethical dilemmas and how we should respond. During the introductory part of our sessions this fall, we hope to place a focus on Bible memory and apologetics. Memorizing Scripture is one of the best ways to prepare to live in a world full of temptations and misinformation. If we can understand that God’s word is absolute truth and store it in our hearts, we will be prepared to resist the world’s deceptive enticements. In our apologetics discussions, we will focus on the war against the authority and inerrancy of God’s word. We will also discuss the foundational principles of the Christian life and how we can be equipped to define and defend our faith to the world.
Kids4Truth meets on Wednesdays evenings at 7:00 beginning September 9th. This is a great opportunity for children to learn and discover doctrine in an age-appropriate way. Each club night emphasizes doctrinal themes, Scripture memory, and building friendships through classroom and activity time. Children in Kindergarten through grade 6 are welcome.
Here are a few things to consider as we resume classes this fall. According to the Edmonton bylaw, educational and childcare facilities are exempt from wearing masks. This would apply to all our activities and classes for children. Of course, you are welcome to have your children use a face covering, but it is not required in the classroom. We will try to adhere to the physical distance guidelines in all classroom spaces.
The Alberta Health guidelines for churches currently forbid childcare for children under the age of 2, so we regret that the nursery for that age group will remain closed for now.
Here are some reminders as we navigate COVID:
1. Please monitor and assess your children for signs of COVID, and stay at home if there are any symptoms.
2. Use hand sanitizer when you enter the building.
3. Cover coughs and sneezes.
4. Avoid physical contact with others.
5. Please take younger children to the washroom before classroom drop off. We want to minimize movement once class begins.